San Diego, CA- San Diego State Aztecs defeated the New Mexico Lobos 24-14 last night. Sophomore running back Donnel Pumphrey dominated the Lobos and rushed for a career-high 246 yards and two touchdown’s.
The San Diego State Aztecs (3-3, 2-1 MW) were looking to rebound from their rough loss to Fresno State last week.
The Aztecs ran all over the Lobos on their first drive of the game, advancing all the way to the Lobos 8 yard line. Unfortunately the Aztecs were unable to punch it into the endzone and settled for a 25 yard field goal by Donny Hageman to give them the early 3-0 lead.
Donnel Pumphrey then scored his first touchdown on a 49 yard run to extend the Aztecs to 10-0 in the 2nd quarter.
Chase Price opened the second half with a 27-yard touchdown run to extend the Aztecs lead to 17-7 to begin the 3rd quarter.
Donnel Pumphrey put the Aztecs ahead for good to end the 3rd quarter with a 93 yard touchdown run to extend the Aztecs lead to 24-14.
More from San Diego State Aztecs
- Aztecs forward Winston Shepard Should Be Applauded For Staying In School
- SDSU Aztecs On All Cylinders In Polee’s Return
- Aztecs Run Rebels Out In Return Home
- SDSU Shocks No. 25 Wyoming In 60-52 Win
- San Diego State-Wyoming: Defenses Battle
Aztecs finished the night with 397 total rushing yards, as backup running back Chase Price also had a big game with a career high 141 yards and a touchdown on 17 carries.
Here are some game notes on Donnel Pumphrey by San Diego State Aztecs Assistant Media Relations Director Jamie McConeghy:
- San Diego State Aztecs are 8-3 over his career when Donnel Pumphrey has at least one rushing touchdown.
- San Diego State Aztecs Donnel Pumphrey ranks 8th in FBS in rushing YPG (134.5).
- San Diego State Aztecs Donnel Pumphrey now has 1,559 yards over his career, which is the 16th most in school history.
- San Diego State Aztecs rushed for 397 yards, which ranks eighth in school single-game history.
- San Diego State Aztecs Donnel Pumphrey’s 246 rushing yards are the 13th most in school history.