More from San Diego Padres
- The Padres Can Come Out From Under Bud Black’s Hole
- Memo To Padres: Sign Justin Upton To A Long-Term Deal ASAP
- Padres’ latest bold move puts them among elite
- San Diego Padres and Braves have emerged as the frontrunners for Cuban slugger Yasmany Tomas
- Report: San Diego Padres are looking to make a big headline-grabbing splash
Friars on Base
Odrisamer Despaigne is expected to project as a 4th-5th starter in the rotation or a middle reliever at the major league level. Despaigne pitches from a variety of arm angles and throws his fastball between 92 mph- 94 mph.
Here’s video of Odrisamer Despaigne’s minor league debut in Double-A San Antonio:
"“I would say his stuff is average across the board. He’s got feel and he’s got deception, and he knows how to pitch. The biggest thing going for him is his ability to mix and match and change slots and change arm angles. He probably throws four different pitches from different slots and different angles. He never gives guys the same look, and he throws a lot of strikes. But he doesn’t have anything plus.” The official considers Odrisame Despaigne’s pitches to be fringe-average or slightly above-average, depending on the day. “I see him as a middle inning type of guy. He’s going to have to really throw a ton of strikes to have success. He’s really no different than a lot of six-year free agents and non-roster invitees that are out there right now. I think he fits in well to a bullpen probably as a middle inning reliever and potentially a long guy or a No. 5 starter.”"