San Diego, CA- Yangervis Solarte in his Padres debut helped carry the Padres to an 8-3 victory over the Cubs.
More from San Diego Padres
- The Padres Can Come Out From Under Bud Black’s Hole
- Memo To Padres: Sign Justin Upton To A Long-Term Deal ASAP
- Padres’ latest bold move puts them among elite
- San Diego Padres and Braves have emerged as the frontrunners for Cuban slugger Yasmany Tomas
- Report: San Diego Padres are looking to make a big headline-grabbing splash
Yangveris Solarte made his presence felt right away with an RBI triple to right to score Chris Denorfia and give the Padres a 1-0 lead. Solarte would score on a sacrifice fly by Carlos Quentin to extend the Padres lead to 2-0.
Chris Nelson would extend the Padres lead in the top of the fourth on an RBI double to score Jeff Francoeur and extend their lead to 3-0.
The Cubs would come back to tie the game in the bottom of the fourth on Ian Kennedy’s only mistake of the night, a three-run home run to Luis Valbuena to tie the game at 3-3.
Friars on Base
The game wouldn’t remain tied for long, as Solarte would score on an RBI double by Tommy Medica in the top of the 5th to give the Padres the lead back 4-3. Rene Rivera would later that inning induce a bases-loaded walk to increase the Padres lead to 5-3.
In the eighth the Padres would extend their lead on an RBI single by Seth Smith, Medica and Francoeur to extend their lead to 8-3.
Ian Kennedy was solid on the mound for the Padres and improved to (8-9) on the season, allowing three runs on three hits with six strikeouts in six innings of work.