San Diego, CA- Padres rookie Odrisamer Despaigne after struggling in his last few starts, bounced back tonight as the Padres defeat the Rockies 4-1. The Padres have now won 4 straight games.
More from San Diego Padres
- The Padres Can Come Out From Under Bud Black’s Hole
- Memo To Padres: Sign Justin Upton To A Long-Term Deal ASAP
- Padres’ latest bold move puts them among elite
- San Diego Padres and Braves have emerged as the frontrunners for Cuban slugger Yasmany Tomas
- Report: San Diego Padres are looking to make a big headline-grabbing splash
Despaigne improved to (3-3) on the season and lowered his ERA to 2.72, after allowing no runs on five hits, two walks and a career-high eight strikeouts in seven innings of work.
Alexi Amarista would drive in the games first run in the bottom of the 2nd, as Yonder Alonso scored on an RBI groundout by Amarista to give the Padres a 1-0 lead.
In the bottom of the 4th inning, Rymer Liriano would beat out an infield single for his first major league hit and scored his first career run on a sacrifice fly by Abraham Almonte to extend the Padres lead to 2-0.
Friars on Base
Chris Nelson would come through once again in the bottom of the 8th with a two-run single to extend the Padres lead to 4-0.
The Rockies would avoid the shutout in the 9th with a solo-home run by Corey Dickerson to cut the Padres lead to 4-1.
With the win the Padres improve to (56-62) and are now a National League best (15-8) since the all-star break. The Padres are now only six games out of a wild card spot.