San Diego, CA- The San Diego Padres defeated the Arizona Diamondbacks 7-4 this afternoon for Manager Bud Black‘s 600th career win.
More from San Diego Padres
- The Padres Can Come Out From Under Bud Black’s Hole
- Memo To Padres: Sign Justin Upton To A Long-Term Deal ASAP
- Padres’ latest bold move puts them among elite
- San Diego Padres and Braves have emerged as the frontrunners for Cuban slugger Yasmany Tomas
- Report: San Diego Padres are looking to make a big headline-grabbing splash
Buddy Black now one of two people in Major League Baseball history with 100+ wins as a pitcher and 600+ wins as a manager.
Black is in his eighth season as manager of the San Diego Padres with a record of 600-664. Black ranks second in the Padres’s history for all-time managerial wins, trailing Bruce Bochy, who won 951 games as San Diego Padres manager.
Grandal would extend the Padres lead to 5-0 with a three-run shot in the top of the fifth, his 11th of the season.
Friars on Base
Cliff Pennington would add on a solo homer to cut the Padres lead to 5-4.
Will Venable would extend the Padres lead to 7-4 with a pinch-hit two-run homer.
Joaquin Benoit would close out the game for the Padres in the ninth for his eighth save in his his first appearance since August 13.
Ian Kennedy improved to (10-11) on the season, allowing only three runs on eight hits with six strikeouts in 5.2 inning of work.